TEACHER'S COPY - MAY COPY PAGE 2 FOR YOUR STUDENTS
Identification and Discussion Questions
1. Based on these first three paragraphs, on which fairy tale is this story based?
(Ask question after reading first three paragraphs. Cinderella)
2. How did Cindy justify to herself not getting any new clothes?
(Cousins were older. They need more to make a good impression.)
3. Cindy had to do certain things in order to go to the ball: alter the dress, wait for the others to leave, and leave at twelve. What else would she have had to do that the story doesn't tell?
4. Are rewards more appreciated if something must be done to get them?
5. When does the effort outweigh the rewards?
6. What advice does Mother Moon give to Cindy about dealing with others?
(Take more interest in others than yourself.)
7. Many had a golden mask and thought that it would get them the handsome stranger. All of us wear masks from time to time. We disguise our thoughts, reactions, words to suit the situation. Is this okay? Is there a difference between "hiding behind a mask," "play a role," and adapting to situations?
8. Why do you think the aunt and cousins allowed Cindy to respond to the riddle?
9. What do you think Cindy studied in college? Why?
How does the picture on page 27 relate to this story?
Just for Today
Think about the masks you've worn or will wear today. Why will you wear them? Are your reasons helpful to you and others?
made a pitch