Jack and Jill
TEACHER'S COPY - MAY COPY PAGE 2 FOR YOUR STUDENTS
Identification and Discussion Questions
1. Can anyone quote the Jack and Jill nursery rhyme?
(Jack and Jill went up the hill to fetch a pail of water.
Jack fell down and broke his crown
And Jill came tumbling after.)
2. Does changing the order of the couples' names change how you view them?
(Probably not, but it will provide an opportunity to discuss the meta-language principle of how order often reflects our preferences - as when it is the speaker's son, it's Jim and Jane; but to Jane's parents, it's Jane and Jim.)
3. When (what time period) did this story take place?
(Probably the most common response will be post 9/11/01. Much supports this answer, such as, they were in the guard and both men and women seemed directly involved in the war. Guard units have been involved in previous wars, but women's involvement in the guard, and in war, was more restricted in the past.)
4. In what ways do you think the characters were similar?
(Almost any answer, except gender or race, is acceptable. Their economic conditions were very likely to be similar. Certainly the attitudes (personality characteristics) of their parents were similar.)
5. How do you see Grace Terra? Is it much different than your view of Faith Moon?
6. Do you think that Jill and Jack will end up "breaking their crown" as their namesakes did or will they find the help they need from their community? Why or why not?
7. Which of the stories in SUNSPOTS was your favorite? Why?
8. Is there a lesson in the book that has become special to you?
How does the picture on page 101 relate to this story?
Just for Today
Think about your circle of friends, your neighbors, people you see at social functions. Are they diverse in skin color, gender, and social standing? Are you accepting and open to others who are different from you? Today, interact with people outside your circle and observe what happens. Who is accepting of you; who gives indications that you shouldn't be interacting with them? What are the differences in their behaviors? How does each make you feel? What are the implications for your own actions?